I have a nice and simple web part for you today, but one that I think is really useful. It allows a user to create an alert on a particular list with just a single click. The user interface is pretty simple, which of course is the idea, and looks like this:
Behind the scenes, the administrator (the person who adds the web part to the page) configures it like so:
Couple of things to note:
- The text can be changed, so while in this example it is “Subscribe” and “Unsubscribe”, you could make it “Create Alert” and “Delete Alert”, “Alert Me” and “Stop Alerting Me”, etc, etc.
- If you do not have permissions to the list, or permissions to create an alert, then the link will not be displayed.
- You can have multiple versions of this web part on a single page, providing they have a unique combination of List, Change Type and Frequency.
I will be looking to roll this into the CKS:EBE, as I think it is particularly useful for bloggers who want to give readers of their site a simple way to subscribe via email. As always, I hope you find it useful, and look forward to your feedback!
How do you get it?
You can download it from the zevenseas Community Solutions project on CodePlex. Couple of things to note before you do, in future all zevenseas solutions will come in two parts (blog post on this coming):
- The zevenseas Community Solutions Library – This is a library of shared components that may be used by any other zevenseas solution, for example our web parts, CKS Search add-on, etc.
- The solution – In this case it is our Web Parts package, but it could be any of the other solutions we offer to.
We are going to try to make this a single, simple install, but unfortunately, right now this means you need to install two solutions (using the fantastic SharePoint Installer). In every case though we will package them up into a single download, and provide a readme.txt to step you through it.
(and the other zevenseas Web Parts)