This solution will work anywhere SharePoint does, even, if you are running SharePoint in a hosted environment (for example Microsoft Online Services (BPOS)). “Installation” is done entirely through your browser, and you don’t have to ask anyone for permission.
How can you install it?
That is my favourite question. It’s just a Site Template. This means all you need to do is upload it to your site template gallery, and then create a new site. Just like this:
- Download the Site Template.
- Open a site collection where you would like to create the Timesheet subsite.
- Click on “Site Settings”
- Click on “Site Templates” under the “Galleries” heading.
- Click on the “Upload” button, and then select the previously downloaded “Timesheet.stp” file.
- When you have done that, click on “Site Actions” –> “Create”
- Click on “Sites and Workspaces”
- Give the new site a “Title” and a “Description”, then from the “Select a Template” section click on the “Custom” Tab.
- There you should find the new “Timesheet” site template, click on it an click on the “Create” button.
You are done!
Call To Action
As I mentioned in my previous post, we are working on an innovative new service which launches very soon and makes solutions just like this even more accessible to people who want to do more with SharePoint but who don’t have the technical know-how or luxury of installing assembly based solutions.
If you are interested in building small, focused solutions with SharePoint, just like this one, then drop me an email at email@example.com. We are looking for partners who want to participate in a revolution!