After a pretty exhausting but very interesting week I can say that SharePoint 2010 will be very.. awesome.. (that was pretty much THE word of the week by a particular trainer and a few attendees (amongst them were SharePoint heroes like Tobias Zimmergren, Waldek Mastykarz, Joris Poelmans (AKA JOPX)))
After seeing a lot of sessions in Vegas at the SPC09, I thought that I had seen all the cool new things that are coming but this week showed a couple more.
One of the biggest new things for me was the removal of .stp files and instead of those, now we have .wsp’s that are called “WebTemplates”. Because they are .wsp’s, we can make use of the upgrade functionality. Meaning that in 2010 we have UPGRADEABLE webtemplates!!
in 2010 we have UPGRADEABLE webtemplates!!!
To give you the bigger picture ..
- User can click together the layout..
- User can save the site as template
- Developer can import the WSP into VS
- Developer can upload the WSP as a farm solution
- Sites can be created based on that custom webtemplate
- Developer modifies the webtemplate according to new business needs
- Developer updated WSP
- WSP get’s upgraded
- Existing sites get updated using the Feature Update framework
(at least.. that’s the story ;))
Can’t believe they didn’t shout this one out as big as the ‘F5 experience’ for example. I mean.. businesses were (and are) waiting for many years to have this functionality available..
For now I just wanted to say.. thanks Microsoft for making this possible, thanks Wouter van Vugt, Vesa Juvonen and Todd Carter for giving an awesome developer training and thanks Dan for giving me his seat ;)